Two barnstorming brothers, C. Gilbert and Gordon Taylor, formed the Taylor Brothers Aircraft Company in 1927. Their first aircraft was the E-2 which was terribly underpowered and was constantly reengineered and upgraded. Under the direction of a 19-year-old aircraft designer Walter Jamouneau, the E-2 was revamped, with rounded angles and other notable changes, and reintroduced as the Taylor J-2 Cub – the “J” standing for Jamouneau. In 1930, the Taylor Company went bankrupt and William Piper bought the assets for $761 and retained Taylor as president. In 1935 Taylor left Piper and went on to establish a new company known as the Taylorcraft Aviation Company of Alliance, Ohio.The J-2 is a high wing, strut braced, tandem cabin monoplane, with welded steel tube fuselage and tail surfaces. The wings consist of solid spruce wood material and built-up riveted aluminum ribs with the leading edges covered with thin aluminum sheet material. The entire aircraft is fabric covered.This rudder came from a Taylor J-2 aircraft. This series of aircraft has an interesting history.
In 1937 the original factory in Bradford, Pennsylvania, was destroyed by fire and the company moved to Lock Haven, Pennsylvania where production restarted in May 1937 and the company was renamed the Piper Aircraft Corporation in November 1937. Meanwhile, 1,207 J-2’s had been built from February 1931with the last being completed in 1938 when production of the J-3 Cub started. In 2009 over 100 Taylor and Piper J-2’s remained on the U. S. civil aircraft register