This engine was developed by Curtiss-Wright and widely used in aircraft in the 1930’s and 1940’s. Over 50,000 were built at plants in Caldwell, New Jersey, and Cincinnati, Ohio.
The engine had a single-stage two speed centrifugal supercharger with an impeller diameter of 11 inches which had a blower ratio of 7.06:1 at slow speed and 10.06:1 at high speed. The engine could develop 1,700 HP at 2,600 RPM and a manifold pressure of 44.3 inches of mercury. It weighs 2,045 pounds.
The engine was introduced into service in 1939 at a cost of $16,500.