Stinson “Reliant” SR-9 Description
A "Straight Wing" Stinson Reliant designed with two wing struts on each side
The Reliant is a three place high wing monoplane. 1,327 Reliants of all types were made from 1933 to 1941, those models ranging from the SR-1 to the SR-10. The SR-1 through to the SR-6 are commonly known as the “straight wing” Reliants of which 287 were built. The second grouping were the SR-7 through the SR-10 which were known as the “gull wing” Reliants because of their wing profiles that made the airplanes look a lot like the Gull bird
The Stinson manufacturing was done at the Stinson Aircraft Division of the Aviation Manufacturing Corporation of Wayne, Michigan. Over the years many different engines
were used in the Reliant. The aircraft here at the museum uses a Wright Whirlwind R-760E-2 which is a radial engine that delivers 320 HP with a cruising speed of 150 mph and a range of about 800 miles. This particular Stinson was built in 1937. The museum airplane is owned by Phillips Sweet and is on loan to the museum.