The Fairchild Aerial Camera Corporation of Farmingdale, Long Island, New York, entered the aircraft engine business in 1925, by forming the Fairchild-Caminez Engine Corporation to develop and produce air-cooled engines for the US Army Corps. During the 1930’s they developed the Ranger L-440 which developed 175 HP at 2,450 rpm and weighing 355 pounds. This engine was continually refined and ultimately produced 220 HP at the same rpm of 2,450.
Over 6,500 of these engines were produced and they were used in a large number of different aircraft: Douglas O-14, Fairchild PT-19, T-19, PT-26, UC-61, UC-86, Northwestern-Waco PG-2, J-4F, Falconar SAL Mustang, Grumman G-44 Widgeon, and St. Louis PT-LM-4.
The advantages of an inline, inverted engine are that pilot forward visibility in increased and drag is reduced due to the cylinders being in a straight line presenting a reduced exposure to the airflow.